Saturday, December 4, 2010

Frank Lloyd Wright


 
I think in the movie about Frank Ghrey they mentioned Frank Lloyd Wright and although I know he’s been mentioned in multiple video’s I don’t remember us watching a video on him so I’ll do this post on Frank Lloyd Wright. Frank Lloyd Wright is one of the most well known American architects.  When I was looking at colleges down here in Florida I visited Florida Southern College which boasts a lot of work done by Wright so I’ve seen some of his work firsthand.  Most notably of the work I saw was his waterdome which is, as the name suggests, is a giant dome of water created by many water jets that blast the water into the air. The other big thing I remember was a kind of walkway with a roof that he built that ran between most of the buildings. It was rather humorous to me because Wright was apparently a rather short man and when he built the walkway he did not take taller heights into much account which forced all of the taller people to stoop to walk underneath it. I’ve always found it funny that such a well known and brilliant architect wouldn’t take something like height into account when designing a structure.
                Danforth Chapel was another building I got to see done by Wright. It was a beautiful building from the outside but even better once you got in. Behind the pulpit was a large triangular area that stuck out from the building. This area was made of stained glass and was absolutely gorgeous when the sun hit it. He also did Annie Pfeiffer Chapel which was my favorite building that I saw when I was there. The building itself had an odd shape so it was interesting from when I first saw it but the real beauty was when you got up close. All along the walls were small squares of different colored stained glass making the inside of this building into a sort of giant kaleidoscope.  Again, I can say it was beautiful like I did for the last chapel but for either of them word’s can’t really do what you get to see justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment